Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Simplifying

Today is Ash Wednesday.  Though I'm not Catholic, I have gone through the process of fasting from something for Lent as a spiritual exercise many times in my adult life.

Today I logged out of my Facebook account after posting a "see you later" note.  Soon after this I got a note asking me if I had given up Facebook for Lent.

The answer is "not really".  I just feel pulled in so many different directions right now that I felt like it would be something I could do to simplify my life.  I have unfinished hobbies I wouldn't mind picking back up (I just blogged about this a few days ago), things I want to write, exercise I want to do, and family connections I want to attend to.  If I can use some of the time I have been spending on Facebook to do some of these things, then it's not really like I'm giving anything up.  So I don't think it qualifies as a Lenten sacrifice.

Plus I don't want to hold myself to a 40 day time frame.  Maybe in two weeks I will have figured out a way to motivate myself to a daily 15 minutes on the exercise bike, and will have rewritten one of the essays in my notes into a publishable article, and feel like it's OK to try to incorporate Facebook back into my life.

I'll see if removing something from my routine helps me feel like I've got time to be more productive in other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment